Friday, June 13, 2014

Luzern thursday 12 june

Writing this in my tent during a full on summer thunderstorm which has threatened all arvo and just now has unleashed a deluge  complete with hail to test the good character of my aunt. So far it is a bonny watertight boat under its big oak tree and against my birch emplacement hedge.. Bikes getting a good clean. Steady hail thunder and full on rain now  for half an hour and still dry inside.. its really quite exciting. In such a dramatic landscape also. Enormous mist shrouded mountains pouring down to a classic swiss lake.

So much has happened since that last sentence  an hour ago. The whole lane of tents has gone under to 750 mm of water. The inside of my tent stayed dry but outside was 100 mm of water and getting deeper at one end. A dozen french schoolkids tents are under to much screaming and mirth. I decide to abandon ship and rescue my bed in a slight letting up. What a good tent it is. We are all invited to relocate to higher ground. Which is reasonably painless. I've dried the inside out with a towell, replaced my dry mattress and doona, changed into warm dry clothes and am now enjoying writing about it inside my pluckly little aunt.. Ortlieb bags are really really waterproof.

As I awake to a moist but rainfree dawn. I realise I should have attempted to keep my shoes dry in the storm. It means I may have to stay here until they dry enough to be worn to continue on. I'm reluctant to climb 1000 meters soggy. Perhaps there is a shoe shop nearby. Note to self .....bare feet dry a lot quicker than cycling shoes. There is a lot to see here in Luzern and also washing machines at the campsite so perhaps not so bad an enforced restday. No whiffy unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment