Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Agno Tues 17 June

71ks to across the fiume from Lugano at Agno. Tired to start with and perhaps should have heeded the "medium" rating. I am also doubling the suggested stage length of 40 odd ks. It is raining so I've invoked my hotel in the rain rule despite investigating various camping options.

Bellinzona (becastled with 3 no less) made for a pretty 11's (expresso and mineral water con gas) and I made my mind up not to ride to Bormio as there is no established veloroute and the roads are busy. Looking for maps took up 90 minutes.

So will ride to Como tomorrow and see about a ferry to Lecco just for fun. It will remind me of the time Sheila and I stayed in Bellagio. Then a train to Bormio to camp for a while to try and achieve Stelvio pass (empty bike) or if need cross over to Merano and then Bolzano. Once there I can access a Eurovelo route (7?) To Salzburg.

The signed velo route really does make a difference I found today. While very often roundabout and gravel enhanced they are often forested or canalpath or the old way....all of which are far more pleasurable to ride. Today in 6ks I had to ride a major road (mostly with an onroad bike lane) up nearly 400 meters. Going up two fleshetts with a truck or two up one's butt makes for hasty peddling I can tell you. I was in granny for the first time this trip.  It did not help that for nearly a k my  bikelane was taken over by road reparation. Otherwise it would have been fine.

The day lacked joy despite rivalling the Adige bike path for scenery. I was safe all day and only fell off the signs once which enabled a wonderful soft dirt 2ks by a river covered with trees.

Two friendly cyclists pointed out the bridge turn off to Agno in the rain and now I've a trip advisor recommended auberge garni molinazzo with a green garden  to look out into from the verandah. The bike is dry also with its own garage.

Really the Gotthard descent to Como is a very very beautiful ride and worthy of the north south swiss route 3 status. I would reccomend it to anyone as a really comprehensive tour de suisse.

The bike is going well. A bit grubby but I can tell she's looking forward to a valise free run over the stelvio. I'm very lucky to have such a sturdy steed. I still remember the day I carried her home from Florac on the Tarn river years ago and how impossible it all becomes when we change roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment