Sunday, May 25, 2014

Paris Sun 25 May Vincennes D'Orsey

Woke early to a parliament of crows and unhappy street gents yowling.
Then a delightful converse with my darling, catching her in the bath on this la jour des mamans en France.
Despite rain forecast rode to Chateau Vicennes louis 9 and charles v's castle. Took the tour and was impressed. This was the Paris donjon for centuries and yet the personality of its builder remains. It became over time the great prison with M de Sade 7 years and Henri IV 2 years its royal guests among others like Mirabeau and Raspail. A medieval walled town its church was plainly ancient. I was told they fitted a life size marble man through a small arched window to relegate his remains out if the main drag. Illustrated below. What an installation task I thought to myself.
I'm endeavouring to cycle all of the 13 main piste cyclables en Paris so took the long way to the musee D'Orsay where again I was overwhelmed by the  borrowing and I guess lending power quid pro quo of Paris.
Van Gogh's this time by the dozens. A creative premise and a well thought out exhibition if a bit claustrophobic.
The mega Courbet has returned from its sojourn across the creek at the Louvre and looks fantastic with his other hunting scenes. Man that guy, saviour of the Louvre and great hero could paint a dog. And to discover his wonderful portrait of Hector Berlioz has graced the cover of his autobiography all this time on the shelf at home without me knowing. That's why these holidays are so enlightening.
So tonight is again a semi last en Paris. This place could provide a lifetime of deciphering. Tomorrow I take the piste cyclable to the king's bro's place Orleans.....packing everything into 6 small panniers as we speak...
Wish me luck and ward off the predicted  rain for me will you? Ta. Wifi free despite hand washing now for perhaps a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment