Saturday, May 24, 2014

Paris Sat 24 May

Amazing art today at the Louvre. What a huge treasury it is. I've sore feet just remembering.
The new Islamic wing was simply tremendous. A lovely dune like golden mesh roof over one of Louis' courtyards. He's got so many he won't miss one. Lovely objects by the 100's. I liked the ancient glass.
Then onto visit all the other old romans. Antinous does outshine his patron Hadrianus, being sculpted as personifying beauty while old beardy H barely gets a mention. Simply staggering the amount in the Louvre. I was in two small sections and occupied for 4 hours.
Then grand palais again for Robert Maplethorpe which was a bit rich american for me. I really enjoyed his Patti Smith portraits and the one of Susan Sontag was great also. She's interred 100 steps away from where I write this.
Weathers a bit arthur and marther but I'm still outta this place after tomorrow via my own voie verte. 57ks to Breuillet.

1 comment:

  1. How lucky you are Davey to be surrounded by so many treasures - enjoy and bonne chance for your big ride up the hills! lots of love to you brother, B. xxx

    ReplyDelete