Thursday, May 22, 2014

Josephine's tiny feet

Woke up early to Paris pigeons cooing. After a good breakfast with real bread and the news of rain at 10.30 retrieved the bike box and put it together in the moist post rain morning. It rained hard overnight. Piled the old bike box on top of the pigeon man's cardboard home. Bike travelled well except for two things: a deep gouge in the paint on the cross bar and two bends in the front wheel. I straightened the wheel enough to ride it tomorrow to the bike shop. Then the rain came down in buckets. As predicted exactly. I decided to walk today.
Visited the local cimitere to pay my respects to Charles, Niki, and Cesar.
Then off to the muses de Luxembourg for an exhibition of Josephine Bonaparte, s stuff. An amazing bone carved tiara and a pair of really tiny boots. She must have been tiny.  A good portrait by Prudhon was a highlight. ICOM card gratuit. And my own lane in. Emerged from a very  good display albeit with grey carpets to bright sunshine.
Then found my way to St. Sulpice which was dim with big golden candlesticks. The Delacroix St Agnes was OK but being conserved so a little less visible.
Then off to le vieux campeur for camping gas and lo the map of the piste cyclable out of town to Orleans. Yes I knew it was possible and it runs next to gare Montparnasse. No need for a train and on my front door so to speak.
Then ome for monoprix tabouli to rest my worn out feet. I saw so many older tourists stepping gingerly. Moi aussi.
So all in all a very good day. Missing home but activities preclude.

No comments:

Post a Comment