Friday, May 23, 2014

Augustus and I'm straightened out

Woke early to cool sunshine and promptly rode for an hour to the very edge of Paris to find Thiery of Giant Paris XII at la Porte D'oree who brusquely told me to leave the bike and return at sieze heures.
So after a petit noir to discover which metro line we were on I went to Jeu de Paume (ferme) and then to a wonderful exhibition moi Augustus at le grand Palais.
What a powerful borrower to have all the best of Octavian. At last I got to see the prima porta which is of course in the Vatican dealing as it does with deification. Then the most wonderful busts of all the family, the pompeii paintings and winged tables, massive bowls made out of ancient blue glass, followed by coins, and satyrs erect holding up wash stands. All in a neo classicist palace emulating everything on display within.
The marbles must have taken 3 weeks to install. Excellent show. I'm really better for having been there.
Then home for a bite to eat and a rest. Trammed it back to Thierry and lo the wheel was true and he only wanted 20 euros for an excellent job at short notice so I bought 2 drink bottles.
Pedalled back home the long way through light rain bursts. Got home and it really poured so I rewarded myself with an Italian salade at the local tournesol. What a day. I'm so relieved to be riding a wobble free bike again thanks to a genuinely hard working mechanic.

No comments:

Post a Comment