Friday, July 4, 2014

Zoncolan via Carnia fri 4 july

The hardest and steepest and sweetest cycling of all my life. An 80 k circuit to mercifully be able to complete the second goal of this crazy adventure. It will be hard to repeat today's ride but the memories are gpld.

The Hotel Carnia provides a footpump for use after an excellent breakfast. I knew the day was off to a good start when I saw sunflower seeds for the first time in weeks. Fully pumped I set off to Ovaro 30ks away, the base town for the harder of the two ascent possibilities.

At 1739 meters Zoncolan is not the highest. The Ovaro ascent however is an average of 14% which can rise to 23. There are 10ks of meaningful ascent from a bridge in Ovaro. This delightfully stresses not only manic cyclistes but mechanical vehicles also, making the climb largely motor noise and fume free. The forest is deep dark and the 3 hours I had amongst it kind of enjoyable.

The descent down the less steep 11ks was a case of frequent stops to cool the rims and enjoy the scenery. Thence to a cycle shop to buy the tee and  obligatory neck and the most demanding day of my cycling life is done.

I spray clean the bike, have a very welcome shower in which I hand wash my wick away NZ cycle shorts, socks  and shirt, thence to lay down for an hour to relieve the muscles.

Now this fine old ski 'otel's bar is filled with mostly male travellers absorbing the thrill of 80,000 football fanatics in Brazil. I'm going to celebrate tonight with a fine Italian meal in the restaurant.

I've a better idea now why riding up tall mountains attracts me so much...there are many more mountains but I feet today's was a peak experience after which there are no real competitors. I will now have supreme respect for any and all Giro D'Italia riders. They are exceptionally driven humans and worthy. I cannot believe how fit they are to race up such slopes..taking minutes where I hours.....the older heros on dirt with much less support...simply admirable athletes.

Brilliant and self confirming day. I'm grateful to have been able to have it.

2 comments: