Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Paris tue 8 July

Woke up amongst not quite strangers after a relatively painless train trip with my bagged bike dangling above my head overnight, to a knock behind which an official returns me my precious passport.

Julian the Chinese Italian portrait painter with a foldaway Brompton, Gelred the train  experienced Pakistani house painter and the dark stranger who never introduced himself.

The train delayed by storms was 45 minutes before being renewed with another train. Allocated bunks and strict policing. Gelred wisely brought his own 6pack of water as that of the train was non-potable. The too short bunk had clean sheets but I missed the sleeping bag sent ome earlier in the day as the window was broken snd had to remain noisely open.... Arrived Gare de Lyon to reconstruct the bike and ride through the rain to Montparnasse to debaggage, abandon the bike in the clean inner courtyard and breakfast in the Absolut Cafe up the parc. All very friendly to a slightly smelly unshaven aussie in cycling shorts.

Then an attempt to see Bourdelles studio nearby, unfortunately closed for reparations. Did get a pic of le jardine And attendant bronzed fogie. Decided to lash out and go to the movies while I awaited my official checkin at 3pm. Malefique en francais with Lara croft Angelique Jolie. Fun and comprehensible.

Then shower, tooth brush and wash and hang out smalls before departing to Charles de Gaulle to revise the ticket home. Charged a fee, but a lot less than I'd have spent over the next month here.

So I leave Paris on Friday 11th July mit bike en baggage to arrive home on Sun 13 July at 9.40 from melbourne on flight QF814 with a couple of hills in me legs and looking forward tremendously to being home after almost 8 weeks away.

It is raining again en Paris rather romantically. Wish I could some how send thr ambiance to you all in your dreams. Tomorrow more glorious art, ancient edifaces and lovrly things.


No comments:

Post a Comment