Thursday, July 3, 2014

Carnia thurs 3 July

100 very beautiful ks some brand new rail trail through dramatic and glorious scenery. Three main rivers carved my way: Drau, Geil and Fella. Snow far off grey scree above drier treescapes....akin to the Pyrennees. A simply wonderful days cycling.

Pushed it today although much was descent so as to reach base camp for Monte Zoncolan. I'm still on the Alpe Adria with an 80k circuit tomorrow up the steeper ascent to Zoncolan and down via a gentler descent on an empty bike, returning to Carnia ready to resume the piste cyclable to Grado and thence Roma.

Today's first conversation was with a erudite Italian cyclist as we both emerged from the youth hostel to load up our bikes...he'd met Brian Kennedy via his brother (an art dealer) and had been to the NGA and had participated in the Masters orienteering events in Bendigo.
He predicted my ride today would be very scenic. Travelling light he carried two yoga mats rolled inside each other. He lived near Stelvio and had not attempted it by bike. I liked his simplicity.

The first 20 ks of the ride were Austrian farmyard with wet gravel...it rained hard overnight and railway sidings so you can imagine my dismay.

Then Tarvisio and the piste became consistent painted tar, good signage and lit tunnels for the remaining 80ks. Making for an absolutely brilliant cycle today. Montarsio is one valley too far but I've seen its snow capped teeth.

I met a pair of Hungarians as we were taking photos of  a wasserfall. Along the path she slid off the path and fell overcome by the astounding scenery....no harm done... (although I was preparing to do first aid) and I came across their team waiting for them later down the river to catch a train to Lienz and was able to reassure them they were on their way.

Tonight I'm in a bicycle friendly hotel 3 star for €47 a night with breakfast and will return here tomorrow hopefully with the last mountain trial achieved. 2ks at 14% ascending so I decided to descend via the easier route to keep safe.

A cheering and sunny days ride through some absolutely brilliant scenery on a very well made and designed bike path.

No comments:

Post a Comment